You are here:
New Zealand Laws
This entry was submitted by Andrew Jull
As of january 1, 1996, new zealand enacted an ammenment to the crimes act 1961 that makes it illegal to
1. perform fgm, except where the procedure is carried out for the person's mental or physical health (no account can be taken of customary or traditional practice)
2. makes arrangements for removal of child to another country for the performance of fgm
3. put pressure on a person to leave new zealand to have the procedure performed.
4. person practicing fgm is liable for a maximum term of imprisonment of seven years. i am not aware of this having been tested yet.
5. a female on whom fgm has been performed cannot be charged with any offence.